Yesterday my husband and I noticed that the weather seems to be changing and the trees are beginning to lose their leaves! Summer days sure need to last longer here in Pennsylvania. This morning there was a chill in the air and I decided it felt like the perfect morning to try a new recipe with the pumpkin pie spice I purchased last week.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 eggs (I use eggs from my parent’s farm.)
- 1/4 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp or more of vanilla extract
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread or 2 whole English muffins, split apart
- 1 large banana
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (You can substitute for another nut of choice such as pecans.)
- Maple syrup or syrup of choice
WHAT TO DO:
- In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract. You will want to stir with a fork or whisk.
- Add oil to a medium pan and heat over medium heat.
- Soak each slice of bread or English muffin half in the egg mixture; approximately 30 seconds each side. It may take slightly longer when using an English muffin. I substituted 2 English muffins (4 pieces when pulled apart) for sliced bread as I did not have any bread in the pantry!
- Place each slice of bread or English muffin half in the pan and cook each side for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Top each with sliced bananas and walnuts. Use syrup sparingly!
- There was approximately 3/4 cup of egg mixture left over which I decided to cook the eggs and serve as part of my breakfast.
Here is an example of the Southern Spiced French Toast with Bananas & Walnuts. I used the color coded portion containers, which helps me to keep my nutrition on track! The picture indicates the 21 Day Fix container count. A serving size is 1 slice of bread (1 yellow) so this recipe can feed 3-4 people depending on if the serving size is being followed.
The color coded containers are available for purchase in my fitness shop.
For more tips, support, recipes, meal planning, and other health and wellness assistance, please apply here by completing my get support form!