A mere 2% drop in our body’s water supply can trigger signs of dehydration. Water is important to the mechanics of our body. The body cannot work without it, just as a car cannot run without gas and oil. Water is needed for your digestive juices, urine, and poop. In addition to being an important part of the fluids in your body, each cell depends on water to function normally. Water is even in your food choices (veggies)!
Do you struggle to get in the recommended daily amount of ounces? You are not alone! You should do your best to drink at least HALF of your body weight in ounces…so if you weigh 150 pounds you should drink at least 75 ounces EVERY day.
You might be thinking sure….WHEN? WHY? or HOW?
Drinking water at certain times throughout the day can help maximize its effectiveness on your body.
– Drinking 2 glasses after waking up helps activate internal organs (*I try to drink 4 ounces before my feet hit the floor each morning. My water container is on my night stand :))
– 1 glass 30 minutes before a meal helps with digestion
– 1 glass before taking a bath helps with blood pressure
– 1 glass before going to bed lowers your risk for stroke and heart attack
It will be important for you to NOT mistake thirst for hunger! If you think you may be hungry, but it’s not quite “time to eat” then try drinking 10-12 ounces of water FIRST and then see if you are still hungry. Sometimes a glass of water will help curb those cravings!
There are MANY benefits of drinking water…here are 10 of them!
1. Promotes healthy skin and a healthy heart
2. Fights infection
3. Gets rid of body toxins
4. Boosts your metabolic rate
5. Prevents headaches, joint pain and arthritis (*water serves as a lubricant)
6. Boosts energy levels
7. Prevents constipation
8. Reduces risk of cancer
9. Improves productivity
10. Aids in weight loss
Ultimately it is up to you to make drinking water a priority! Here are some helpful tips that you may find useful:
1. Go to bed with a full glass next to your bed….WAKE UP and Chug!
2. Use an insulated straw cup (ABSOLUTELY my go to). I like adding ice and drinking from a straw.
3. Always have plenty of water with you. If you are going to be away from the house take water with you and have another container as a backup!
4. Try infusing it with lemons, orange slices, mint, cucumber, or any other fruit. The flavor lasts through several refills and adds a bit of flavor without the added sugar. I have even used cinnamon sticks. Perhaps lime juice and frozen berries is something that interests you.
5. Set goals throughout the day (e.g., 10 ounces every hour or 40 ounces by 1 PM and 40 more by dinner) OR whatever works best for you!
I cannot stress enough….drink your water! This has been a factor to help with my fitness goals and overall well being. Do you have to be perfect…NO.
It is NEVER too late to improve your health…our bodies are very resilient and if you treat yourself well, you will be surprised by your body’s own natural ability to heal itself.
Water consumption is just of one the many things we discuss in my health and wellness accountability groups.
For more tips, support, recipes, meal planning, and other health and wellness assistance, please apply here by completing my get support form!