This time of year we have a lot of zucchini (green and yellow) that is produced from our garden. I first attempted this recipe where a thin layer of ricotta mixture is placed on a slice of zucchini and then rolled up. That didn’t exactly go as planned; the zucchini slices must be very thin for the recipe to work. I decided to make zucchini lasagna instead of zucchini roll-ups! I have to say that this way is less time consuming, a refreshing switch from traditional lasagna, and the zucchini tasted delicious.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 (15 oz.) containers ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 TBSP Oregano
- 1-2 TBSP Parsley
- Sea Salt, dash
- Pepper, dash
- 1 jar of marinara
- 2-3 medium zucchini, sliced approximately 1/8″ thick or smaller
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO:
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl combine ricotta, parmesan, egg, garlic, sea salt, and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Place one layer of zucchini in the baking dish and then layer on top of the zucchini the ricotta mixture followed by the marinara. Repeat this step until zucchini and ricotta mixture is used completely up. You might have left over marinara.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil; bake until bubbly. Approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake until golden brown. Approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe I will often pair with another vegetable such as green beans. Also, another option is to cook ground meat and simply layer as you add the zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and marinara to the baking dish.
For more tips, support, recipes, meal planning, and other health and wellness assistance, please apply here by completing my get support form!
21 day fix portion for this recipe is 2 green containers, 1/2 red container, 1/2 purple, and 1/2 blue. The color coded containers are available for purchase in my fitness shop.