If you have been following me on my Facebook page and Instagram last week, I did a 3-Day Refresh and had great results even with adding a few extra portions. I modified the 3-Day Refresh so that I was able to maintain my milk supply for my son who turned 1 year old on April 10th. I lost 5 pounds and could tell that I lost inches too based on how my clothes fit after the refresh! It sure feels good to kick bad habits to the side and kiss the bloat goodbye. The 3-Day Refresh is a way for you to break through a plateau that you may experience on your journey.
As promised, I wanted to share what I did during my 3-day refresh so that both my son and I were happy!
The thing I like about the 3-Day Refresh is that there is no guesswork involved in knowing what to eat. The 3-Day Refresh consists of three daily shakes, a fiber drink, plenty of water, plus a wide array of fresh fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats throughout the day to keep your energy and metabolism going. I do caution that the 3-Day Refresh is low calorie and for this reason I went into the 3-Day Refresh knowing that I would modify in order to maintain my milk supply and be able to make a fast, clean break from some bad eating habits.
What You’ll Eat and Drink During the 3-Day Refresh
So this is what I did with modification for Day 1 through 3. Please keep in mind whether you are producing milk or not, you must drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water each day – if not more! You do not want your body to get dehydrated while it is working hard to get rid of the bad and we all know that water does help control hunger. The other tip that I have is to prep everything so that you will be less tempted to reach for something that isn’t in the 3-Day Refresh plan. Do yourself a favor – prepare – you’ll set yourself up for success!
- Upon waking drink 8-10 ounces of water
- Breakfast: Within one hour of waking, I made my Chocolate Shakeology (choose either the vegan or whey Shakeology option) with a handful of Spinach, 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract, 10 ounces of unsweetened almond milk, and ice – blended together and then topped with Coconut Flakes. I also had 2 servings of fruit (oranges). **Shakeology is my daily multi-vitamin.
- Optional Morning Tea: I opted to not drink morning tea; however, for any nursing moms you could drink Mother’s Milk tea (to promote healthy lactation) as well as add 1 snack such as 1 cup of fruit. I know some moms will take Fenugreek tablets to help with lactation just in case.
- Mid-Morning: Fiber Sweep (digestive health drink) (*My best suggestion is to mix the Fiber Sweep with water and immediately chug!) The Fiber Sweep has a blend of soluble and insoluble fibers to gently and naturally eliminate waste for your digestive system while supporting healthy intestinal flora. It contains flax and chia seeds which are sources of healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
- Lunch: Vanilla Fresh Protein shake blended with 8 ounces of water and cinnamon sprinkled on top. I had pineapple along with my vegetable and healthy fat. I like to eat red pepper strips and hummus or Brussel sprouts and avocado. The Vanilla Fresh Protein shake is an excellent source of fiber and it’s both dairy and soy-free. There is no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives or sweeteners.
- Afternoon Snack: 2 servings of a vegetable along with 1 serving of a healthy fat.
- Optional Afternoon Tea: Again, I opted to not drink the afternoon tea; however, I did add a cup of fruit.
- Dinner: Vanilla Fresh Protein shake blended with half of a banana this time (the 3-Day Refresh guide says don’t blend with anything). I also made myself the Cucumber and Tomato Salad meal from the “dinner options” on the 3-Day Refresh guide. I modified by adding in an extra cup of vegetables.
- Optional Evening Tea: I was satisfied after dinner and opted to not drink the herbal tea.
I did days 2 and 3 the same way; however, I picked different fruit, vegetable, healthy fat, and dinner options as detailed in the 3-Day Refresh guide. Below are pictures of the foods that I ate for Day 1 through Day 3.
Although it is not a requirement, to get the full benefit of the 3-Day Refresh, it is suggested to refrain from drinking coffee for the three days you are on the program. Also, cheese is not an option for food.
Please know that the 3-Day Refresh isn’t a starvation diet or an all-liquid fast. I mentioned that it is low in calories per day (this is why I modified to add additional servings from the food groups that I was allowed during the program to maintain my milk supply), but it is packed with protein and fiber. The increase in fiber that you consume during the 3-Day Refresh might cause some gas or bloating while it works to help clean things up especially if your body is not used to fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. There are low gas-producing options in the vegetable list and dinner recipe options to help you minimize discomfort.
As far as exercise, I worked out to PiYO by streaming it via my Beachbody On Demand membership. Mild to moderate exercise is recommended during the 3-Day Refresh.
While the 3-Day Refresh is simple, I will say that it is challenging mentally and physically. You might not be used to eating clean, but it is for 3 day! You absolutely can do this and have the option of my virtual accountability group for support. You are never alone on your health and wellness journey!
- What are the next steps after the 3-Day Refresh? The key is to keep it simple, stay realistic, and remember you are going to make unhealthy choices along your journey. Acknowledge when you start to get off course so that you can learn and make healthier choices again.
- Keep hydrated
- Don’t be afraid of good fats
- Increase your vegetables and fruits (*eat fruit early in the day)
- Choose healthy and lean protein sources and go organic whenever possible to avoid the antibiotics, hormones, pesticides, and herbicides associated with conventional farming. Remember that plant-based protein can be easier for your body to break down.
- Practice portion control
- There is no single way to eat clean; however, pay attention to how food makes you feel.
- Stay away from the junk – here are some 21 Day Fix Snack ideas or review my Nutritious Recipes for more options.
- How long did you wait to do the 3-Day Refresh after your son? I completed the 3-Day Refresh 1 week before my son’s 1st Birthday. Honestly, my priority was producing milk and I wanted to ensure my son’s digestive system was matured. I personally would not try the 3-Day Refresh even with modification until you have a good supply and routine established with your baby.
- I already have a low milk supply. I would not risk doing the 3-Day Refresh. Just wait until you are done nursing and are ready to start a long-term fitness and nutrition plan with me to help you get on track. The 21 Day Fix is a great program to start with and to help you learn about portion control/balanced eating.
- Are you a doctor or a nutritionist? No, I’m not a doctor or a nutritionist, but I do know MY body well. I pumped for 18 months with my daughter and I currently have been pumping for 12 months and counting with my son. I know how to stay in the “safe zone” of caloric intake. I am simply sharing MY experience and this blog post is not meant to push anyone to try the 3-Day Refresh.
- Did I have concern with any of the ingredients in the 3-Day Refresh Program? I don’t know about you, but I would prefer to eat the foods in the program to get me back on track versus eating the processed foods and genetically modified (GMO’s) found at the grocery store and fast food restaurants. We could all use some help learning how to choose healthier food options, meal preparation, and eating balanced throughout the day! I have been drinking Shakeology since January 2015 – it is a no brainer for me.
- Can I purchase the 3-Day Refresh by itself? Yes, the 3-Day Refresh can be purchased with or without Shakeology (if you already are purchasing Shakeology monthly then you can get the 3-Day Refresh without Shakeology). The majority of my customers purchase a challenge pack that includes their fitness program, 30-day supply of Shakeology, and the 3-Day Refresh. This way they are starting into the next phase of their health and wellness journey after completing the 3-Day Refresh. If you have any questions, please email me at Melissa@LLHealthyFit.com to determine which option works best for you.
For more tips, support, recipes, meal planning, and other health and wellness assistance, please apply here by completing my get support form!
One thought on “3 – Day Refresh and Pumping”