Being a busy parent and cooking healthy can definitely be a challenge! I try to incorporate one crockpot meal in my meal plan each week. Here is a recipe that requires few ingredients and not much of your time to place in the crockpot! This leaves more time to focus on the other items on that every growing to-do list.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 pound chicken
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
WHAT TO DO:
1. Layer sweet potato chunks on bottom of crockpot.
2. Place chicken on top of sweet potato chunks.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, red onion, applesauce, and vinegar.
5. Pour mixture over the chicken and sweet potato chunks.
6. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours until the chicken is tender.
7. Serve with a vegetable or side salad or over brown rice.
If using the color coded containers then each serving would count as 1 red (chicken), 1 yellow (sweet potato), 1 green (vegetable of choice), and 1/4 purple (applesauce).
The color coded containers are available for purchase in my fitness shop.