I’m on a mission to use ingredients that I have in the house before going grocery shopping again! It can be easy to fall into a pattern of weekly grocery shopping without emptying the freezer/refrigerator/pantry of the items previously bought. This is also a great way to rid the house of not so clean eating items without throwing away. Make use of the groceries you already bought and replace with healthier choices the next time. This is the time of year my family plants a garden. I’m looking forward to fresh vegetables that I know have not been sprayed with pesticides.
Fajita-stuffed Chicken is what I decided to make the other night. My husband including my daughter loved this meal. It was simple to make and this meal could be prepped a day in advance so that all you have to do is cook it the next day. Feel free to spice it up by adding jalapeños.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Large Orange Pepper
- 1/2 Large White Onion
- Salt/Pepper (*I used 1 tsp of pepper only)
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese (*You could attempt to substitute with Greek Yogurt like FAGE)
- 1/2 cup of Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 2 tsp each of sea salt, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder
WHAT TO DO:
- Heat Olive Oil in a pan over medium heat. Add orange peppers, onion, and pepper; sauté.
- In a medium bowl, combine sautéed peppers and onion with cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- In a zip lock bag or bowl, combine seas salt and remaining seasonings. Add chicken breasts to the bag and toss.
- Place chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice to create a pocket and add fajita mixture.
- Cook over medium heat (*approximately 5 minutes on each side; time may vary depending on thickness of the chicken breast).
You can serve this meal over spinach or with a vegetable of your choice. I used sugar snap peas and watermelon since this is what we had in the refrigerator.
Tip: Since grilling season is right around the corner, the chicken could be cooked on the grill. Be sure to use aluminum foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray to place the chicken on so that when the cheese melts it does not make a mess on your grill.
For more tips, support, recipes, meal planning, and other health and wellness assistance, please apply here by completing my get support form!