I’m always looking for healthy recipes that feed my family. You are probably on the lookout for the same ones; do not take a lot of preparation BUT taste delicious! The extra wedding soup was shared with my parents – which they let me know was excellent. A big thank you to my dad for trying the foods I cook and for being honest with how they taste!
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups spinach, cut into bite size pieces (*I lightly packed the measuring cup – added close to 8 cups)
- 20 Italian meatballs (*If smaller size meatballs – add more to the soup)
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBSP Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add broth; bring to a boil.
- Add spinach; reduce heat to gently boil; covered, for 10 minutes. I used more than 6 cups of spinach. You could use other greens such as Swiss Chard or Escarole.
- Add meatballs; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. For this recipe, I used frozen meatballs that were baked for approximately 15 minutes in the oven before adding to the soup. I baked the meatballs in the AM and made the soup in the afternoon.
- Combine eggs and cheese in a small bowl; mix with a fork to blend. I did add additional Parmesan cheese to the soup when served; 2 TBSP was not enough for my family!
- Slowly pour egg mixture into the hot soup, stirring constantly. Gently boil until egg bits are just set (as you stir), about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately or reduce heat to low to cook more until ready to serve.
Each serving would equate to 2 green and 1 red if following the color coded container system. The recipe makes enough for 6 servings.
The color coded containers and the FIXATE cookbook are available for purchase in my fitness shop.
For more tips, support, recipes, meal planning, and other health and wellness assistance, please apply here by completing my get support form!